Friday, August 20, 2010

Tree silhouette, Monhegan Island

At 4:30am, I hiked out to the coastal headlands and arrived at White Head shortly before sunrise.  Although the weather was hazy, the light in the sky was interesting and beautiful.  As the sun rose above the horizon, the colors begain to fade and I believed the show was over, so abandoned my perch 160 feet above the sea and hiked north along the coast. 
Perhaps twenty minutes later, I spied this oddly shaped tree atop an exposed cliff and made the first image shown here.

The hike to the north had brought me down to sea level and the cliffs now loomed above me. Unexpectedly, just to the left of the tree, the sun was beginning to rise behind the cliff.  The show wasn't over yet.
 
Scrambling along the coastal rocks, I quickly positioned myself such that the tree was in front of the rising sun.



(70-200 zoom at 200mm , f\11, 1/500sec)

Click on an image for a larger view.

No comments:

Post a Comment